My Mossie Wall
(Page created by Ronnie Lee)
This 2-tier tank is sited along a corridor or common hallway receiving about 2 hours of direct sun and ambient lighting for the rest of the day. The upper tank was originally densely planted with a garden soil / Lonestar gravel substrate, hoping that the soil will provide sufficient slow release nutrient for the duration of the setup. Alas, however, that was not meant to be.
In less than a year, the leached nutrient and whatever else that was decomposing in the soil, proved too much for the plants alone to handle and became a algae farm instead. It was one algae to another and I think I've met the whole family.
Having had enough of the eye sore, the tank was cleared of everything to start anew. It did remain empty for about 2 weeks throughout the Lunar New Year of 2003 and I decided to get off my butt on the eve of a public holiday, Hari Raya Haji, on February 12th.
My thoughts and inspiration came directly from my killie-buddy, Kwek Leong, and he has a 'Christmas Moss Wall' to die for.
Ok ok... so I can't grow Christmas Moss even if my life depended on it... but hey, guess what... Java Moss don't die on me! So that'll basically serve the same purpose... a nice backdrop of moss!!!
"standard 2-footer" tank, 24inL x 16inD x 16inH, with bevel-polished
finishing. At roughly 28 gallons or 128 litres, it'll make a very decent
specie tank for my killifish and I'll probably fill 'er up with Aphyosemion
australe Chocolate or some Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum 'Ijebu Ode'...
if I can get my hands on some!
It's too soon to tell but likely coinhabitants will be some octocinclus sp., corydorus sterbai and other small sized, peace loving fishes. The bottom tier houses eight Aphyosemion bivittatum Funge but they're hardly sociable... taking flight at the slightest shadow!
This plastic grid sheet was bought from a hardware shop along Balestier Road, the street where I work.
Measure up and cut the actual height but double the required length. Then make a fold in the middle.
.... like this...
|IMHO, an entire wall of moss is quite monotonous... so I decided to 'break up' the coverage by having coarse sponge to 'anchor' other undemanding plants.
Cable-ties are poked through at one end and guided out at the other (see pic). The open ends are then guided through the plastic grid and secured.
I continued the process until all the sponges are in place.
|I couldn't decide whether to have a curved or flat background, hence the extra length.
Economic times are presently bad!... so to avoid spending too much on 'furnishing' the tank, I salvaged plants from my other neglected tanks.
Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' was chosen for it's branched leaf tips, contrasting it from the Java Moss.
that same N'sukka tank, there was a lone Boblitis heudolotii, or commonly
known as African fern. Might as well salvage that as well....
This pic doesn't do the plant justice as a well-cared-for specimen has beautiful transparent green leaves.
To encourage it to grow, I've trimmed off the stem and leaves... only the rhizome is needed.
The entire wall is submerged for final fitting and to get the sponge wet and ready to receive plants.
A small tankful of salvaged 'Windelov' that has been pruned of decaying remnants, algae and other gunk.
|In good daylight, this is a decent shot of young Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' plantlets.
|The wet grid is placed on damp newspaper and a thin layer of java moss (Vesicularia dubyana) is spread over areas without sponge coverage.
An even coverage will prevent a bald spot later on and have a spray-mister nearby to keep the wall wet.
It isn't easy for me to tie plants, not with those short fat fingers but cutting a slot in the sponge helps a great deal to keep a good plant down!
Pry open a cut slot in the sponge with the scissors and with a planting tweezer, pack the plant in.
I've also secured some young Java ferns (Microsorum pteropus) on the lower left sponge, while the lone Bolbitis is at the top left.
time to get my hands wet again...
wall is in place and there's gravel at the bottom to pin it down.
The top of the wall is secured with this thingie... it's normally used to hold an acrylic partition in place... but hey, this is what I happen to have at hand ... so....
On the floor is a simple CO2 system that wasn't used for a while. I'm sure it's happy to be back in action.
I don't think one can see much of the wall since the sun was pretty strong and this digital camera doesn't have a polarizing filter.
some glare, but better than nothing...
The happy little plantlets found a new anchor.
A simple CO2 diffuser (air-stone design).
view of the tank.
There's 2 pieces of frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) floating on the surface, has long fine hanging roots and surface coverage will prevent skittish fishes... I hope!
put more in if these 2 don't die....
healthy moss platform will also help maintain small growing-out tanks!
Hmm... wonder if fish fry will hang around this...
Ronnie Lee (17th Feb 03)